Eulogy for camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun
Kevin
2004-09-01 00:13:49 UTC
I'm writing a eulogy for camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun because a search for information on
this camp doesn't appear to exist anywhere on the internet. I thought it was
fitting to put a last word on this camp on usenet, where anybody searching for
information on this camp may find it. Hopefully, my eulogy will jog a few
pleasant memories, and give closure to this subject. Perhaps it is just me that
needs closure :)

Camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun was a St.Catherines YMCA/YWCA camp, located just North of Port
Severn, on the shores of Georgian Bay. Specifically, the camp was located on
Moore point via Musky Bay Rd. and Honey Harbour Rd. The other notable physical
feature, and also part of the camp, was Pinery point. Pinery point was a known
stop-over spot for early voyageurs. Thurlose cove was the secret spot of the
camp. This camp was famous for being one of the oldest camps

The camp is long gone and no longer exists. I believe that they ran out of money
to run the camp and were forced to sell. I was very sad to discover it is now a
suburb with 30 homes! These homes range in price form $700,000 to over $1.5
million. The selling point for these homes is that they are for executives and
only 1 1/2 hours from Toronto. Snake Island has a building on it. :( A beautiful
pristine area reduced to a suburb. So typical these days.

My brother went to visit the camp and found the busted up war canoe! It was so
sad to hear of it being destroyed. I thought this was symbolic because this
canoe would last 30 years if well taken care of. I remembered a few trips with
the war canoe, and winning a race against another camp with it.

I attended this camp many summers during the 70's when we did canoe trips on the
French, Magnetewan, and Bala rivers. Favorite haunts included Macey's Bay for
the younger campers, Camp Kitchikawana, and McCrae lake. This lake was famous
for its diving cliffs, and was a favorite destination for the camp.

The camp director I remember the most was Curtis Eastmure. Curtis was a very
good director and was famous for his great story telling. I'm afraid that even I
have forgotten most of the names, though I still remember the faces. Perhaps you
would share a few. Mike Sharp the entertainment director. Anybody remember
"Sarge" the 500 lbs constable? Jeff Gibson the cook. I forget the name of the
director before Curtis, and I really liked him.

memories:
--------------------

The totem pole
Craft shop
The light green cabins.
The swamp cabins.
The big bell for meal times.
The archery and rifle ranges.
The car dump.
Swimming out to the little rock islands.
An entire camp capture the flag game on Pinery point.
The pranks that included kidnapping councilors.
PJ breakfast.
Capture the councilor.
***The peanut butter song***!!!
The thousands of names painted in the craft shop.

Anyway, goodbye camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun. Rest in peace!
Kevin
2004-09-01 01:51:24 UTC
Post by Kevin
[...]
Oh, that's Bill Sharp.......not Mike Sharp, AKA "Sharpe". Who could forget to
mention Dave McBride and Rob Laughton? These three were at the camp for 15
years. Damn, can't remember the maintenance man......Mike........
--------------------
d***@gmail.com
2012-08-23 07:12:24 UTC
Other councillors..john Pearson..Denis cirocco...Rick boutin..glen meigan......gr8t summers and lasting memories
m***@gmail.com
2015-04-04 02:57:54 UTC
I went to this camp 64.65,66,and a month in 67. Does anyone remember the camp song "aluetta, jaunty aluetta? The camp director Art would sing it at breakfast and get us all going. I remember the plates of buttered toast, scrambled eggs. pancakes and bacon and oatmeal we had. The canoe trips the swimming, the crafts including copper enameling I made my Dad a pair of cuff links. The "new cabins were nice with bunks and screens on the window. The outhouses with the new ablution system.
The dirt pathways we would sweep with a corn broom to get everything spic and span for cabin inspection. We would get points and try and beat the other cabins. Capture the flag. The "girls camp" across the way which we never raided but talked about it a lot. It was a great time of my life. The first times away and independent from my parents even though we looked forward to the care package that would come in the mail. It was a halcyon time in my life.
m***@gmail.com
2016-04-21 01:58:29 UTC
m***@gmail.com
2016-04-21 02:05:17 UTC
I also loved it when care packages came. Was there in the mid to late 60's How about the song here we sit like birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness waiting for our food? Great camp learned and loved it a lot.
j***@gmail.com
2013-06-14 14:30:35 UTC
Post by Kevin
[...]
Kevin: Thank you so much for sharing this. I too have fond memories of Camp Wa-Sa-Ah-bun. I was there as a camper and then a counselor from 1956 - 1961. Great memories. I just posted this to our local paper's roundtable. The editor asked us for some favorite summer memories, so I wanted to share it with you too.

"Summertime, oh, summertime, pattern of life indelible..." wrote E B White. Our YMCA owned Camp Was-Ah-Ah-Bun on Georgian Bay (East coast of Lake Huron.) The waterfront was in a protected cove with a beach, and surrounded by trees. It was there I learned to swim and later qualified as a lifeguard. I learned canoeing skills and how to sail the little two-man skiffs. We had a great lodge and about sixteen cabins that slept eight each. We played hard at games and crafts all day long, we sang campfire songs in the evening, and when we went to bed at lights out the wind in the pines sang a lullaby to put us to sleep. I recently learned, to my sorrow, that the camp is long gone and is now a swanky suburb with homes in the low millions. But my memories of camp will always be precious. Even today to banish stress and relax I just close my eyes and enjoy the memories of Camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun.
Some Guy
2013-06-15 20:44:06 UTC
Post by Kevin
I'm writing a eulogy for camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun because a search for
information on this camp doesn't appear to exist anywhere on the
internet.
(...)

Note that "Kevin" posted that in august, ->2004<-
Post by Kevin
Kevin: Thank you so much for sharing this. I too have fond memories
of Camp Wa-Sa-Ah-bun.
Jr Green is a typical google-grouper. A google-grouper is a moron who
experiences Usenet through google-groups, or should I say,
google-gropes.

One hallmark of google-gropers is that they post replies to posts that
were made years in the past, as if the person who posted the ancient
message is still around to read the reply.

In this case, Jr Green replied to a 9-year-old post.

What a maroon.
j***@gmail.com
What a maroon.
b***@gmail.com
2013-08-13 06:58:53 UTC
Omg. Let me know if you get this!

When the Internet was brand new I looked up camp wa sa ah bun. No one was there ! So happy to see people are out there. I took my kids up to the camp 4 years ago. We found the camp fire pit at Pinery. I cried ! Best camp ever!
b***@gmail.com
2013-08-13 07:02:43 UTC
Kevin, I remember Sarge.

Back bay
Junior and senior outpost

Here's one...... Cardiac ? It was built behind the dining hall in the late 70s
s***@gmail.com
2015-08-29 06:55:23 UTC
I went to this camp for a couple of weeks in 1980. I was in the Tuscarora cabin. I wasn't really the camping type, but some stuff was cool. I think I liked the food the best, especially the lasagna.
j***@gmail.com
2016-01-21 15:40:39 UTC
Post by Kevin
Anyway, goodbye camp Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun. Rest in peace!
Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun has a facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6422318085/
d***@gmail.com
2017-09-13 01:40:34 UTC
It is hard to tell if this thread is still active. I went to the camp with my brother Bob Rathbun the summer of '67. Our cabin counselor was John Empringham.

There was a photo and short story done on the camp in the St. Catharines Standard. Richard Herzog, Steve Sandercock, Dave Lennard and me were in the photo playing instruments in a "band".

I posted the article from the Standard in the "Vintage St. Catharines" Facebook Group if anyone is interested.
c***@gmail.com
2018-09-08 17:12:49 UTC
I was there each summer from age 8-10.
Long canoe trips, that small camp area beyond the fishing area (remove your hooks if you want to keep your rod, lol!).
Those times greatly influenced who I am today.
j***@gmail.com
I still have the Wa-Sa-Ah-Bun Camp song book. I remember Curtis Eastmere and the next director who liked the Musical Group “the BGees”. Dick Eastmere came on the French river CIT canoe trip in 1979... I lost a whole food pack on that trip.... the one with the 7 day gorp. We were so wet we stopped at a laundromat by the highway to use the electric dryers. It was a fabulous trip. I still have my staff photo.
M***@hotmail.com
M***@hotmail.com
M***@hotmail.com
2020-07-16 13:52:17 UTC
Hello everyone I am the camp nurse from 1978 or 1979 not sure which. I also taught crafts in the big old craft house in the woods. No groups of campers would come in every two weeks and I would do a medical examination on them and keep their medications and see that they called them and look after medical emergencies as they arose. I started doing cleanup inspections on the cabins every morning and the winning team of the day would get a chocolate bar for each member. I remember laying out on the rocks with the water splashing on my legs in the middle of the afternoon I’m thinking to myself this place is really nice.I took many pictures and still have them and I hope to be excepted on the Facebook page where I Will post them.